The day starts earlier than I'd like with all three little ones up and ready to go. I can already feel the tightness in my chest as I fight the selfishness creep up in me. My voice is short and my tone is not what it should be.
We start our morning and I am dragging. I'm simply weary and tired. I want my day to be done, and it's only 10:15 in the morning. The weight of the last few months feels much heavier lately. Daddy's been traveling alot. School is in full swing. There is more attitude and disrespect to deal with than I'd like. Friends are dealing with hurt and pain. Some days can be long and hard... and I just want to find the fast-forward button and pass it all to a better time. Can't I do that?
As I struggle to get the kids in the van to head out to PE class, I begin to crack. My mind is so fixed on my frustrations, and they begin to pry me open. I come back in the house and begin to slam cupboards, throw sippy cups in the diaper bag, and toss aside the mess... venting my frustrations as I go. And as I'm cracking, I stare out the window at our tree blowing in the wind, and I don't even see His reminder in front of my face.
Give Thanks.
I take a deep breath, not knowing whether to scream or cry, and He shifts my focus from the tree outside the window to the sign in front of it.
Give Thanks.
It's a habit I tried to start this last spring when reading this book. To give thanks and find joy in all things and at all times. I found it can be a life-changing habit. But as all disciplines go, it isn't easy, and on days this, it doesn't come naturally. And as hard as I tried this spring to keep it going, after awhile the habit was dropped.
But I hear His soft whisper as I stare at the sign before me, calling me to Himself and longing for me to see past the disappointments and frustrations of the moment and see Him. To record His blessing one by one and simply in this moment, give thanks.
It's been awhile, and it feels awkward at first....
For my three children
For my husband who works hard and has a job
For a warm house where we nurture, love, and learn
For His truths, grace, love, and forgiveness... daily
And as I keep going... they come a little more naturally...
For smiles and giggles
For Lego creations that give me a peek into his world
For the way he is obsessed with kitchen utensils
For her amazing art work
For the colors of fall that proclaim His glory and splendor
For this moment... for this life...
As they flow from my mouth, the tension in my chest is released and the focus of my moments come back to Him. It doesn't make the hard things of this moment or life go away, it just gives them perspective and maybe makes them a little easier to walk though as I give thanks and find the joy.
So during this season of thanks, I'm seeking to get into the habit again. To record His gifts... to find simple joys in the moments... and see Him more in my days. Because why would I want to fast-forward though all the blessing He has planned for my days?
Simply Give Thanks.
loved this post! wish we lived closer jennifer:)
ReplyDelete