Sunday, January 22, 2012

99

I will praise the LORD all my life;
I will sing praise to my God as long as I live.
Psalm 146:2
For the last 12 years, she has been a constant in my life as a Hodges.  Every holiday, every baby, every gathering, every birthday, every event... she is there. 

  Her sweet smile, her quiet disposition, her witty words have become precious to me.
But twelve years is nothing compared to the imprint God has allowed her to make in her family and on this earth over the last 99 years. 
Ninety nine years. 
Last weekend Tim's Grandma Vanderford turned 99 years old.

It's crazy how the word ninety nine rolls off the tongue so easily.  But I found myself in amazed and in awe as we celebrated her birthday, praising God for her life and the simple number of 99.  Ninety nine years of a life well lived!
Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.
Psalm 23:6 
Isn't that what we all long for?  A life well lived?  Whether we have one year or ninety nine years on this earth, God has placed in our hearts a longing to live life to the fullest, to be in relationship with Him and others around us, and to experience His blessings day after day.  He longs for us to slow down, see Him in our  moments, and use the life He has given to us to bring glory and honor to Him.

To be able to watch a life well lived played out has been a blessing to me.  She is an example of a gentle and quiet spirit that is of great worth to God.  She has faithfully served God for years at her church and ministered to others around her.  She has been determined to be wise with her money and never use credit to pay for anything.  It has been so special to see her build special bonds with each of her great grandchildren. (She has taught Liam to have a love for cranberry juice!)  She also plays a mean hand of Phase 10 and will defeat you any time at the game of Rummikub.  
She has loved well and lived well, and I feel honored to be able to call her Grandma. 
   
I will praise you as long as I live, a
nd in your name I will lift up my hands. 
Psalm 63:4 
So we celebrated her!  She really didn't want a party and all the "hoopla" that a party brings, but we did it anyway.  She would have rather sat in the corner and avoided all the attention (a women after my own heart), but in the end, I think she really enjoyed seeing all the people, and we really enjoyed the chance to show her how much we love her. 

There were so many favorite moments of the day, but one of my favorite moments was when I looked over and caught Tim and his Grandma chatting and giggling about something.
Simply precious. 
And there's nothing more precious than seeing your husband and your son sharing some special moments with a very special woman. 
We will tell the next generation
the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD,
his power, and the wonders he has done.

Psalm 78:4

What a precious day it was... to celebrate, to reflect, to make memories. 
I praise God for this day, for giving me this grandma, and for having such a wonderful reason to have a party. 
Grandma Vanderford... you are loved!  
      
I will praise you, O Lord my God, with all my heart; I will glorify your name forever.
Psalm 86:12

2 comments: