Wednesday, August 22, 2012

First Day of School 2012

Today was our first day of school!  It's crazy to think that I have a 2nd grader, a preschooler, and a 2 1/2 year old! 

Of course we had to take our first day of school pictures!

Liam - 2nd Grade

Ainsley - Preschool

Kallan - 2 1/2

My Students
Love them! Either this picture just cracks you up, or you instantly start praying for me!  :)
For a first day back, our day went pretty well!  I kept the schedule pretty light as we eased into things.

Want a little peak?

Our morning started with reading and talking about Proverbs 2:3-5 and then looking up the word, PERSISTENCE in the dictionary and how that word applied to the verse.

We read a story about how the hymn, Holy, Holy, Holy, came to be
and then listened to it and sang along.

We did a little grammar review about capitalization, nouns, contractions, and sentences.

We reviewed the names of the seven continents and four oceans of the world and where we can find them on the map.  We did a little worksheet about that and then went into our history reading starting with Columbus as a young boy.  We read about how people at that time thought the Atlantic Ocean was the "Dark Sea" and if they started to sail across it they thought they might run into Asia.

We talked about what a biography is and "interviewed" each other just in case we ever wanted to write a biography on the other person. 
Then we started a read-a-loud biography about Benjamin Franklin.

Liam did his math lesson on the computer.  After two years of struggling to find a math curriculum that really fits him... I think we've found it.  Do I dare say he was giggling after the first lesson?  I love it too... so smiles all around!

We had my 2nd grader's favorite foods for lunch... Ravioli, corn on the cob, and grapes! 

And for a special treat... a trip to our little town bakery for cupcakes! 
 
Even this teacher got a little treat... a Cookies and Cream Cupcake that stayed on my mind all afternoon!  Yummy!!!!
 
To finish up our day... we read a science book about high and low tide in the ocean and what causes it.  We actually even found some great videos on U-Tube so we could watch the tide in action. 

Then, in keeping with the biography theme...
Liam started his reader which is a biography book on Louis Braille.

After that an afternoon of computer games, playing Legos, riding bike, and playing baseball with friends. 
 
I think 2nd Grade is going to be a good year!

2 comments:

  1. you're awesome jen! what a cool teacher & mama:) yay liam for 2nd grade, i still remember it being one of my favorite years, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound like an awesome teacher Jen!!! Maybe I should send my kids to your house for school! I love home school curriculum if only I didn't have to be the teacher! Here to having a wonderful school year!

    ReplyDelete