If anyone has known me for awhile, they know that camp is a big part of my life. Big as in needing many hours of my days each spring to get ready. Big as in having to leave my children for a week each year. Big as in coming face to face with hard stuff... stuff you hear about in the news, but it hits you a whole different way when there is a little face attached to it looking straight into your eyes.
Camp to me is Royal Family Kids Camp. It is a camp for abused and neglected children in the foster care system who are between the ages of seven and eleven. It is a week where these kids get to come to camp and have a week just being a kid. A place where they can feel safe. A place where they are encouraged, loved, and treated royally. A place where they can hear about Jesus... the One who will never leave them, the One who will never break His promises to them, the One who can give them HOPE and eternal life.
Camp is one of the hardest and best things I do. It stretches me to places that are really uncomfortable. It makes me take steps of faith, putting one foot in front of the other trusting that Jesus will be my solid foundation to walk on for each moment. It wears me out mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually... but as someone said as we came home on Friday, it is one of the best feelings to be totally spent giving your all to Jesus. I do this for Him. I do this for the little ones who need Him...
I have so many thoughts about this week, and wanted to write a few down before my mushy brain forgets. My words can not even begin to express what a week serving at this camp is like, but here are a few words I want to remember about my week at camp.
The precious faces of the campers. I can close my eyes and see them. The smiles and giggles... the laughter and tears.. the hurt and the anger. Each one needing the love and hope that only Jesus can give.
A camper's jaw dropping when I told him the clock he was making would really work and tell time.
The talent show... campers showing so much courage to get up in front of everyone and show off their talent. It was one of the best ever. A little boy singing out a song with all his heart. One of my sweet campers singing a song that means so much to her. So much laughter, so much cheering, and moments that just make me want to smile.
Rubbing their backs at night to help them sleep and thinking about the fact that at some point they were taken away from their mama. As I rub my hand over and over again in circles across their back, my mama's heart breaks as I can't imagine that scene and being a little child separated from my mama.
Seeing the pure hurt and anger in a camper's eyes. She is broken, and my heart hurts again.
Being able to look up at the shining stars at night, and see the vast expanse of His creation. Leaning hard on the phrase that my dear friend told me a few years ago... and I remember... My God is BIGGER. The One who made the stars and controls time and space is bigger than any situation in these camper's lives. He loves them more than I know, and He's with them. He has a plan for their life, He can turn brokenness into beauty. It is how I can open my hands up to Him with peace in my heart, and easily give them over to Him. He is Bigger.
Looking around during the Bible time and seeing every camper's eyes glued to the person sharing the Word with them. I've been at camp a few years, and this is not entirely normal... but they were captivated by God and His word.
Seeing little girls dressed up in fancy dresses ready for the birthday party. Seeing them feel like a princess. Praying that they feel beautiful on the outside and that they know true beauty comes from within.
Hearing the story about one of the little boys who just loves the birthday party we throw for the campers each year. For him, this is his birthday party because he hasn't ever had one thrown for him at home... maybe one year he had a cake he thought... but never a party to celebrate him... and the day he was born. And I can't even imagine.
Having my three little campers ask question after question about God, and God giving me words to speak truth and life into their lives. They were so hungry for answers and I wish I had one more day with them. But God knows... His timing is perfect... and His truth plants seeds that can grow whether we have one more day or not.
And my sweet camper A. This was my fourth year at camp with her. God laid her on my heart after that first year together at camp, and I've been mentoring her throughout the years ever since. She's had some hard times in life and at camp with bad attitudes, and melt downs, and bed time.... But God helped her have an AMAZING week at camp. I can see her growing up and maturing right before my eyes... God is truly working in her heart, and I was so proud of her this week.
I could go on and on with moments that captured my heart this last week... It truly was a wonderful and blessed week! One last thing...
As I was all packed up and leaving the camp on Friday, I ran into the person who helps to run the RFKC for the Hastings area. They also run the camp ground where we stay each year, and after nine years of being at camp, she is always such an encouragement to me, as she has done Royal Family for over 20 years. She shared a story with me that was the exclamation point to my week at camp. A few weeks ago, she was setting up a booth for their Hastings camp at a ministry fair. As she was at her booth, a young man in his late twenties came up and told her he went to this camp. She figured he was mistaken, but as they began to talk, they realized that he was at the first Royal Family camp they had. He was seven... and he came for two years. They continued talking, and he told her about his life... and how it had been rough. Lots of ups and downs... in and out of foster homes... and even some time spend in the regional center. But he was engaged now and things were looking good. As he went to leave he looked at her and said, "You know... those two times at camp are the best memories I have of my childhood."
Wow. That is one of the reasons you will find me each year serving at camp. This camp changes lives and blesses these hurt and broken children. There is nothing like a week at Royal Family Kids Camp. Nothing. For me... or for the campers. It is so hard. It is so good. It is all God!
You amaze me with all you do! So glad camp was good.
ReplyDelete