Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Puffy Paint

We needed to have some fun around here, as well as find a little structure to our day, so why not do a craft project!?!?

I saw this idea in Family Fun magazine, and I was very sceptical that it would really work... but after a morning of painting fun, and waiting to see what creation would come out of the microwave (yes... I did say microwave!) this was a sure hit, and we will be making these 3-D paintings again soon!

To make the paint:
For each color you want to make, combine 1 Tablespoon flour, 1 Tablespoon salt, 1 teaspoon baking powder, and 2 Tablespoons water.  (I used the 5 T ratio, and it made plenty of paint to make 6 colors) Stir well and separate the mixture into small containers,  Use food coloring to color the paint and stir until smooth. 

For best results, mix the paint just before you use it.  Apply the paint to a sturdy sheet of card stock using brushes.  When finished with a picture, place the piece of paper in the microwave for 20 to 30 seconds to dry and puff the paint.

It is super fun and really amazing to see what comes out of the microwave!  The kids had a blast and it was fun to see the smiles all around!

Check out these creations!
And my little guy got in on the action too... just with less messy paint!




No comments:

Post a Comment