Liam has always enjoyed spelling. He's just like his father... who won who knows how many spelling bees back in the day! I, on the other hand, still struggle with so many spelling words and can't imagine why anyone would want to voluntarily enter a spelling bee!
That, my friends, would still be one of my worst nightmares!
Liam entered the Homeschool Spelling Bee last year and got 2nd place. Knowing the bee was in January, I was hesitant to enter him again this fall since I knew our January would be a bit crazy, but he really wanted to do it. So we entered, I made up word cards, and we started to practice in the months of November and December.
Our January was indeed crazy, and my visions of peacefully going over spelling words while I fed the baby did not happen. (What was I thinking?)
We hadn't looked at his words for over a month, and I didn't think he was ready.
I started to suggest that we just skip the bee, but he really wanted to do it.
I think as parents we always want to set our children up for success. It's hard to let them walk into something that you won't think they will be successful at (or fall on their face while trying).
I found myself still trying to convince him the night before the bee to just skip it.... but he wanted to go. So we put in a little more practice and the next morning, and I sent him and daddy to the bee.
Imagine my shock when he called later that morning to say that he had won first place
the 3rd grade spelling bee. I almost started to laugh... and then cry!
I felt foolish for trying to talk him out of going and shield him from any disappointment he may have
(although I don't know if first place helped his ego at all!)
I was so proud of him and he was thrilled at his gold medal.
It was a good reminder for my heart that we can't really control the circumstances (big or small)
that help mold our children into who God wants them to be.
Try as I may, sometimes I need to just let go and let them fly...
and whether they soar or fall, I need to trust that God knows what he's doing...
and be here to give them a big mama's hug no matter what!
No comments:
Post a Comment